Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Travel Day: Can't Believe I'm Doing This


*This is the documentation of my 19 hour experience traveling to Arusha, Tanzania. Here are my thoughts and journal excerpts. Enjoy.

As I previously stated, I hate airplanes and change….and heights. Taking a trip to Africa pretty much goes against those three principles in my life. I am sitting on my first flight of two as I write this, counting down the minutes till departure. The thing that I hate most about flying is the uncertainty of it. When I am on the ground I feel safe and in control. As soon as the plane begins to creep into the air my heart begins to race and my palms sweat. I always begin to fabricate these terrible situations of how I may die on the flight. However, for some strange reason, I don’t feel that right now. I’m not nervous at all. People think it takes amazing courage to take a trip like this, I still haven’t figured out why. I am definitely not superwoman. I’m just a curious young woman who is not letting fear hold me back from a once in a lifetime experience. If God is for me, who can be against me? I know I will be fine….

Directly from my journal:

“Its 8:50pm in Texas, I'm wide awake, and now wishing that I had listened to Simone and taken something to knock me the heck out. Its around 3am in Europe and I'm begging my body to fall asleep so I can be in sync with the time zone…but that isn’t really working in my favor yet….
So I’ve already had some mishaps on the flight:
1.       I wanted to take my contacts out but spilled my remaining solution all over myself
2.       I had 2 pens and already lost them
3.       The loser in front of me put their seat back so I feel so trapped and uncomfortable
4.       I broke the headset input we were all given on the 10 hour flight and now have nothing to listen to….perfect.
…Im still on the plane trying to fall asleep, in Jesus name PLEASE!!!!!

More traveling: flight 0569 to Kilimanjaro

So I’m finally on my flight for Africa! I’m still trying to fall asleep, yet nothing is working. Its nearly 5am at home, so I have almost not slept for an entire day and still have forever to go. Every time I close my eyes all I can think, see, and even dream about is FOOD! I am SO hungry. The smell of lunch is teasing the heck out of me on the plane. I wish they would just serve it now before I go back there and serve myself. It smells like rice and curry…let’s see if I’m correct.
…so guess who was right about the food…this girl. I must get it from my mother.
…I think we have 2-3 ½ hours left. Ohhhhhh myyyyyyy lanta!!!
Finally in Arusha
 I’ve lost track of what day it is…wow. The plane ride was long, but thankfully we landed safely. The bus ride to our house probably took about an hour. The roads were terrible and the driving is opposite that of America. I’m pretty dizzy non-stop from the planes, I still feel like I’m in the air.I share a small room at a house with a new friend, Alisha. I’m sleeping underneath a mosquito net on the top bunk of the beds….and the adventure begins.
Night xx


No comments:

Post a Comment